Back to Program Areas
Public Safety Academy
- The Public Safety core is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills applicable to a
public-safety career, including, but not limited to, Firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, and
Criminal Justice. This course is a minimum of 240 hours to be taught only in conjunction with a Fire Science
or Criminal Justice-approved senior-level specialized Public Safety training program. The areas of study focus on:
- Computer Technology
- Psychology of Stress
- Equipment Training
- Terrorist Assessment Training
- Maps and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- CPR/First Aid
- Health Living
- Diversity and Disability
- Incident Command
- Hazmat Training
- Emergency Telecommunications
- During their junior year, students will experience and be exposed to knowledge, information and skills relating
to all aspects of public safety.Students entering their senior year will specialize in either the Fire Science or
Criminal Science Technology/EMT option.
- Students who chose the Criminal Science option will receive training in criminal-science technology and EMT Basic
and may earn college credit and scholarships to various local universities. Students who choose the Fire Science option
will receive Firefighting Certification-Professional Level, Wildfire Certification, and exposure to EMT basic concepts.
All students in the Public Safety Academy will receive certification in CPR and First Aid.